These are answers to some of our frequently asked questions. However, we always welcome contact direct contact with or readers and writers! So, if you have other questions, please contact our Director of Public Relations at dpr at removeme.jyi.org. If you would like more information on a specific question, there is a director listed below each answer. Please contact us with any questions or thoughts!
- Is JYI affiliated with any institutions, professional societies, or other organizations?
- JYI is a national, independent, non-profit organization run entirely by undergraduates. However, we receive have partnerships and receive support from a number of institutions, professional societies, and other organizations. These organizations include Science Magazine, the National Science Foundation, the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, Duke University, Georgetown University, Swarthmore College, Glaxo Wellcome Inc., Science’s Next Wave, and Sigma Xi. If your organization is interested in working with JYI, please contact our Director of Public Relations at dpr at removeme.jyi.org
- How is JYI Funded?
- JYI does not charge any subscription fees. Consequently, JYI relies on funding from government agencies, universities, scientific societies, corporations, and private donor, such as the National Science Foundation, the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, Duke University, Georgetown University, Swarthmore College, and Glaxo Wellcome Inc. For more information about JYI’s funding or if you would like to contribute to JYI, please contact the Chief Financial Officer at cdo at removeme.jyi.org
- Are donations to JYI tax-deductible?
- Yes. JYI is a non-profit organization with 501©(3) status. If you are interested in donating to JYI, please go to our sponsors page. If you would like more information on JYI’s financial operations please email cdo at removeme.jyi.org.
- Is JYI available only on-line?
- Yes. JYI is an entirely web-based publication.
- How often do you publish new articles?
- New research and feature articles are published monthly. The news articles are updated daily. For more information on JYI publications, please contact JYI’s Editor-in-Chief at eic at removeme.jyi.org
- How do I cite an article from JYI?
- The citation format you use will depend on the referencing standard you follow. Research, Feature and Letter to the Editor article types contain a “Cite this article” link under the “Articletools” section which provides the relevant information.
- How do I obtain permission to repost or reprint a JYI article?
- JYI and its authors hold joint copyright to works published on www.jyi.org. Permission for reprints must be obtained from both JYI and the author. Please e-mail info at removeme.jyi.org with your request for reposting or reprinting a JYI article, or for more information on the JYI reprint policy.
- What types of content may be submitted to JYI?
- JYI accepts a wide variety of submissions, including research articles, review articles, editorials, and feature articles. However, we are always looking for new ideas. Please contact the Editor-in-Chief at eic at removeme.jyi.org with questions about submissions or suggestions.
- Who may submit to JYI?
- Anyone may submit to JYI. Articles must be written in English. Only undergraduates my write features articles. Research articles must be on work done as an undergraduate. For more information, please contact the Editor-in-Chief at eic at removeme.jyi.org
- May I submit to JYI after I have graduated college?
- Yes. All work conducted while at college may be submitted to JYI. Please contact the Senior Research Editor about submissions at sre at removeme.jyi.org.
- What if my work is part of a larger project?
- This is a common problem for undergraduates. Please discuss your situation with your PI. We would also be happy to discuss this situation with people in this position. Please contact the Senior Research Editor at sre at removeme.jyi.org if this is an issue for you.
- How are research submissions judged?
- Research submissions are judged according to several criteria dealing with the quality and originality of the research as well as the manuscript’s presentation and communication style.
- What happens after I submit?
- Within a few days, you will receive an e-mail confirming the receipt of your submission. Your paper will be assigned to two students, who will review your submission with their faculty advisors. You will then receive a response within a few weeks notifying you of acceptance or rejection. Most often, a submission will be accepted on the provision that a few revisions are made. If you have any questions, please e-mail submissions at removeme.jyi.org
- Who may apply?
- JYI is entirely run by undergraduates and any undergraduate can apply. Unfortunately, non-undergraduate students may not apply. (International students who are in a different education system will be treated on a case-by-case system.) For current openings and specific qualifications, please see our hiring page.